Coconut Palm Broom
PLEASE NOTE THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE FOR LOCAL DELIVERY ONLY.
As a mad keen gardener, I love this broom!
Clever Mother Nature provides us with coconut palm fronds, super strong and flexible enough to work as a rake with the density of the fibres to sweep like a broom.
Ethically and sustainably handmade in Sri Lanka this tool has so many uses:
– Rake leaves and twigs without tearing up the grass. Even heavy, wet grass clippings are easy to rake up
– Removing leaf litter from garden beds, even between plants, is easy when you turn the broom sideways
– Use like a broom on pebbles and paths with enough density to sweep fine particles
– On rough surfaces, the flexible bristles quickly and easily sweep
– Sweep doormats and timber decks, turn sideways to get between the boards
– Stays firm and strong when wet and will not disintegrate with heavy use
– Lightweight and easy to use
Plus it's rustic good looks make it perfect for display.
How are they made?
Palm leaves are strong enough to bend and flex in cyclones and they do not easily rot. The strongest part is the centre rib of the leaf which is used to make the brooms. Fallen leaves are collected and stripped back to the centre rib. These are bound together with coconut fibre rope around a FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) certified timber pole, caped with a coconut shell. Coconut rope is woven through the ribs to spread them creating the flattened shape. This narrow edge allows the broom to be turned sideways to easily sweep edges and between pavers.
Handmade in Sri Lanka from all natural materials, using waste products, fallen leaves, to create a sustainable long lasting broom.